ALLFAC Archives

July 2009

ALLFAC@LISTSERV1.COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU

From:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:59:36 -0600
To: CC Faculty
July 20, 2009

From: Sally Meyer, Southwest Studies
           Anne Hyde, History Department (Seminar Coordinator)
           Susan Ashley, Dean's Office
           Paul Kuerbis, Crown Faculty Center

Re: Call for Applications: Hulbert Manuscript Seminars (Year 2)

As one of several initiatives to assist faculty in becoming stronger
scholars, we would like to announce the continuation of the Hulbert
Manuscript Seminars. This program of focused seminars is designed to
benefit faculty in the midst of rethinking and redrafting book-length
manuscripts. The program is open to faculty at any level and in any field,
but would be generally limited to faculty working on [book-length
scholarly monographs in their fields of study. As a way to test interest
and need, we organized and hosted three of these seminars in 2008-2009 for
faculty in History, Art, and Music. We will host another set of seminars
for the upcoming academic year to be held between 10/2009 and 9/2010. This
year, because of staffing and budget issues, we will offer to hold two
seminars.

Modeled after programs in research centers, the seminar participants
identify two or three scholars in their field, and perhaps an editor from
a scholarly press, who can read and comment usefully on a full draft of a
manuscript, and be willing to participate in a seminar here at Colorado
College. We arrange for and pay for transportation, lodging, food, and an
honorarium for each of the experts attending the seminars, not to exceed a
total cost of $6000. Having read the manuscript, they gather at Colorado
College for a two-day seminar to work on the draft in a cooperative
setting, giving the author focused advice for producing an excellent book.
The format, timing, and people invited for these sessions have varied
widely, depending on the needs of the participants.

The Hulbert Center serves as the major organizer, funder, and host of
these seminars, but Anne Hyde will continue to co-ordinate the program
from the History Department. The Hulbert Scholars will be chosen by a
committee that includes faculty from outside the College and the Dean. If
you have any questions contact Anne Hyde at [log in to unmask]

Application Details:

Deadlines: Two paper copies and an e-mail version of application materials
to Anne Hyde, Oct. 1, 2009.  The selection committee will meet very
quickly to choose this year's scholars.

Required Materials:

1.	A letter to the committee (not more than two pages) describing

	1.	how such a seminar would assist the faculty member in
developing a manuscript (such as turning a dissertation into a book)
	2.	the timing of a seminar during the year (following a
sabbatical, during non-teaching blocks, half-block, summer)
	3.	suggestions for possible seminar participants from
off-campus
	4.	a plan for redrafting and completing the manuscript once
the seminar has concluded.

2.	Recent CV
3.	Electronic copy of manuscript to be considered
4.	Letter of support from department or program chair.