ALLFAC Archives

April 2009

ALLFAC@LISTSERV1.COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU

From:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:45:55 -0600
Dear all,

Colleagues,

As many of you know, we have a major grant request before the Mellon
Foundation for the strengthening of modern languages at CC.  Faculty
members across the college have met over the last two years in Language
Summits and identified the need to integrate languages into the curriculum
better as a major priority.  One way of doing this is to allow students
with adequate levels of proficiency to do some work in the original
languages. That approach requires the faculty member to be comfortable
with the language.

In order to promote lthis goal, one part of the Mellon request sought
funds to support intensive language study for faculty.

Yesterday we heard that tthe Mellon Foundation is very interested in
funding our request.  We requested $875,000 for 4 years.  They are
suggesting a two year grant ($415,000) with a two year renewal.  BUT, they
have some questions they want answered by Tuesday.

How many faculty outside the languages would be willing to

1) incorporate work in the original language for prepared students (which
courses)

2) increase their language skills in order to incorporate more language
into research or teaching (which languages)

Could you please indicate if you are interested in either 1) or 2) and
forward your answers to Jaimie Stevenson:  [log in to unmask]

Susan