ALLFAC Archives

December 2018

ALLFAC@LISTSERV1.COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU

From:
Olga Sonnenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Olga Sonnenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2018 12:22:08 -0700
Sent on behalf of the Curriculum Executive Committee:

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to give an update on the process toward our goal of developing a new General Education Program at Colorado College.

As you will remember, the Curriculum Executive Committee had moved consideration of a proposal during the block 3 Faculty Meeting.

President Tiefenthaler called for a supplementary Faculty Meeting, which took place on Tuesday, 27 November.  At that meeting, Sarah Hautziner and Jane Murphy made a substitution motion to have a proposal which they had developed be considered as the proposal on the floor, and that motion was approved.

At that point, the Faculty offered and considered a number of motions on that proposal.  During the deliberations, Professor Michael Sawyer read a request by the Student Government Association asking that their voices be heard in this process and that the Faculty take into serious consideration the findings, recommendations, and suggestions that will be offered by Dr. Worthington and his team, as a result of their visit to the College.

Professor Tracy Coleman then moved that the Faculty not hold any final vote on a new General Education Program until it has a chance to read and consider Dr. Worthington's report.  That motion was accepted.

Following that vote, the Faculty resumed consideration of the proposal on the floor.  That discussion will continue at the regular Block 4 Faculty Meeting.

When that discussion has concluded (which, again, will only occur after we have considered Dr. Worthington’s report), the Faculty will take a vote on whether to approve the proposal on the floor.  If approved, we are done; we will have a new general education program.  If not, the original CEC proposal resumes its role as the official working proposal under consideration.  It, too, would then be open to amendment or substitution.

Attached, please find the current proposal on the floor; the amendments already accepted have been incorporated into it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Onwards and upwards!

Tip Ragan

BRYANT "TIP" RAGAN, PH.D.
Professor
Department of History
Executive Director of the Society for French Historical Studies

o (719) 389-6534
c (719) 641-5960

COLORADO COLLEGE
14 E. Cache La Poudre St.