ALLFAC Archives

March 2020

ALLFAC@LISTSERV1.COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU

From:
"Dale K. Willson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dale K. Willson
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2020 08:49:51 -0700
(sent on behalf of the CEC)

Dear faculty,

The CEC is writing with a final request that you consider proposing CC120 courses for Block 2 next year. Based on the faculty approval of the new General Education program in May 2019, our expectation is that every department contributes to the first-year sequence. In order for this program to be available for our incoming class of 2024, we need 37 sections of CC120. 28 have been proposed; we still need nine more CC120s. Please reach out to Aaron Stoller if you are considering proposing an additional section of CC120. If we don’t hear about nine new proposals in the next week, we will unfortunately need to alter the model for CC120 approved by the faculty.

Options include raising the course cap for CC100/120 in order to make the 28 current sections of CC120 serve our incoming class; in this scenario, current sections of CC100 would be cancelled. Or, more likely, we could release the restriction that CC120 be taught exclusively in block 2, and open it to be taught in blocks 2-4, or 2-8. This would release a constraint that would allow interested faculty to teach multiple sections and/or open the possibility of a single visitor, post-doc, or Riley scholar to cover the remaining need. We’ll need to consider and vote on proposals like these at next week’s faculty meeting, assuming we have not been able to staff the needed 37 sections of CC120 by then.

The CEC wants to acknowledge the many faculty and departments who have developed and proposed CC120s, CC100s, Equity and Power courses, and many other courses meeting the new GenEd requirements. Much about the new GenEd program for next year is coming together, thanks to all these efforts. CC120 is one of the last major pieces we need to figure out in order to serve our incoming class. Please consider that issues related to Equity and Power can be engaged in CC120, even if the course does not acquire that particular designation.
If you as an individual or as a department aren’t able to offer any additional CC120s (which is completely understandable), it would help if you would let us know the constraints you and/or your department might be experiencing that are preventing you from offering such courses. This will help us understand how to lobby administrative leadership to help support departments in offering Gen Ed courses, especially CC120 courses, next year (and maybe even this year).

Thanks,
The CEC