ALLFAC Archives

September 2008

ALLFAC@LISTSERV1.COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU

From:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:45:28 -0600
From: Susan Ashley, Dean of the Faculty / Dean of the College; Paul
Kuerbis, Director, Crown

           Faculty Center; John Riker, Chair, Philosophy Department;
Dennis McEnnerney, Vice

           President, Phi Beta Kappa, Beta of Colorado

Re:     David Oxtoby on Challenges Facing the Liberal Arts Today

           Deliberation and Liberal Learning Workshop Series, 2008-2009

Invitation!  All faculty members are invited to participate in the first
of two faculty-student-alumni workshops reflecting on the character of
liberal education in the 21st century.  Following up on last year's highly
successful discussions of J. Glenn Gray's reflections on pedagogy, we have
invited two leading scholars to visit the campus this year and share with
us their views of challenges and prospects of liberal arts education in
the contemporary era.  Each scholar will lead a workshop discussion of a
short provocative reading they assign and we pre-circulate:

·         David Oxtoby, President of Pomona College and distinguished
Chemist.

FRIDAY, 12 SEPTEMBER 2008, 3:30 - 6 PM IN GATES COMMONS.

·         Betty Smocovitis, distinguished scholar of Biology, History, and
Philosophy, holding appointments at the University of Florida and the
University of Athens.

FRIDAY, 30 JANUARY 2009, 3:30 - 6 PM IN GATES COMMONS.

David Oxtoby has asked us to reflect next week on a controversial essay,
"Spirit in an Age of Science," from Anthony T. Kronman's 2007 book,
Education's End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the
Meaning of Life.  President Oxtoby says of this essay:

It is a reading that I disagree with as much as agree with, and feel that
in different ways it may prove equally objectionable to scientists, social
scientists, and humanists!  Still, I find that it raises important
subjects and I have found it useful in discussion[s of higher education
today.]

Engage with and question leading thinkers' vision of education today.  We
encourage colleagues from across the disciplines and divisions to take
this opportunity to reflect on contemporary liberal learning in America.
Join us in taking up President Oxtoby's provocation!

If you chose to participate, we ask that you also invite up five
thoughtful students to join in our discussions, which will include a mix
of students and faculty from across the College, as well as a number of CC
and Pomona College alumni living in the greater Colorado Springs region.
Students who participated in last year's discussions reported that they
found the sessions to be among the most provocative intellectual
experiences of their years at CC.

Please RSVP.  Interested faculty members should RSVP by visiting the
following SurveyMonkey website, where they can list their name and email
address, as well as any students they have invited.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3CrWkK8EU5bLHUMpZU3R_2bA_3d_3d

If for some reason the website does not work, please RSVP by writing to
Dennis McEnnerney in the Philosophy Department:
mailto:[log in to unmask] (extension 6564).  Additional
information on these events follows.  For a pdf copy of the Kronman
reading, visit:

http://personalwebs.coloradocollege.edu/~dmcennerney/pbk/pbk.htm

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Details for the Friday, 12 September meeting in Gates Commons.  In the
first afternoon of reflection, discussion, and debate on liberal learning
with President Oxtoby, we plan to meet initially in a large group plenary
session, at which President Oxtoby will introduce the reading.  Then we
will break up into small groups of up to 16, meeting in various classrooms
on the third floor of Palmer Hall.  After about 50 minutes of discussion,
we will come together for a final plenary discussion in Gates Commons.  A
reception will follow on the third floor of Palmer Hall, with beer and
wine available to those over 21.

Student and Alumni Participation Encouraged!  These discussions are
intended to involve both faculty and students, so we ask that all
participating faculty invite up to five students to attend with them.  We
welcome all students, but particularly encourage seniors since they are in
a position to reflect on their years at CC and can enjoy a glass of beer
or wine with faculty, if they wish, at the reception.  Faculty members in
contact with alumni of Colorado College or Pomona College living in the
area are also encouraged to invite them to these events.

Subsequent meetings will continue these discussions.  In block 3, we plan
to stage an informal "salon," in which intellectual sociability across the
College will be encouraged in context of open discussion and conviviality.
In these salons, we hope small groups of College faculty, students, and
alumni will share their concerns about the issues raised in President
Oxtoby's workshop.

In block 5, Professor Smocovitis will present a similar provocative
workshop, on interdisciplinary studies, with a follow-up informal salon in
block 7, reflecting on the issues she raises.

We ask that those attending the first meeting commit to participating in
at least one of these subsequent salons or workshops.  The dates and
structures of the salons will be set shortly after each workshop.  With
funding from the national Phi Beta Kappa Society, as well as support from
the Dean's Office, the Crown Faculty Center, and the Philosophy
Department, this second year of events is designed to encourage
deliberation about liberal learning across the College.  For a full
explanation of the program, see:

http://personalwebs.coloradocollege.edu/~dmcennerney/pbk/pbk2.htm

Schedule of Events:

Block 1: Friday, 12 Sept. - David Oxtoby presents "Spirit in an Age of
Science"

Block 3: Date TBA - Informal Salon reflecting on David Oxtoby's
presentation

Block 5: Friday, 30 Jan. - Betty Smocovotis presents interdisciplinary
study today

Block 7: Date TBA - Informal salon reflecting on Betty Smocovitis'
presentation

Credits.  This program was planned by Phi Beta Kappa faculty, including
Tomi-Ann Roberts, Owen Cramer, Susan Ashley, Anne Hyde, Corinne Scheiner,
Tip Ragan, Jonathan Lee, Bob Lee, and Dennis McEnnerney, with the support
of Paul Kuerbis and the Crown Center.  Funding has been provided by the
Phi Beta Kappa Society, the Dean's Office, the Crown Center, and the
Philosophy Department.  Interested in helping conceptualize and develop
these events?  Contact Dennis McEnnerney!