ALLFAC Archives

September 2008

ALLFAC@LISTSERV1.COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU

From:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:09:45 -0600
ACM-Teagle Collegium on Student Learning.  John Ottenhoff, Vice-President
of the ACM writes:  "The first event in this 34-month, $150,000 grant
project will take place Friday-Sunday, November 21-23, at Monmouth
College."  The meeting focuses on recent research on student learning and
the brain and the implications for teaching.  We can send 2 to 3 faculty
members as participants and/or experts.  We can support a limited number
of additional faculty if there is interest.  The grant also funds a
Collegium group which will read more of the research on the mechanics of
learning and develop projects to test in the classroom over the next two
years.  If you are interested in attending the meeting or in joining the
Collegium group or both, please let me know by October 3.  See the
attachments for details.   .

NEH Enduring Questions: Pilot Course Grants  Up to $25,000 to design and
prepare, teach, and assess a course which addresses fundamental questions.
Faculty from any department and discipline can develop the course provided
that it emphasizes sources from the humanities.  Grants run for 18 months
or 24 months.  The project director receives a stipend of $15,000 with
other funding available for "a digital humanities component, books and
materials, ancillary activities with students, publicity. . .".  The
deadline is November 13, 2008 for projects beginning July 1, 2009.   For
more information go to:
http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/EnduringQuestions.html

If you are interested in the NEH grant, please let Nicole Rivet (
[log in to unmask]) and me know as soon as possible.  Nicole's
advice in developing and submitting the applicatioin will be very useful,
and I need to write a letter of institutional commitment on your behalf.

Susan