ALLFAC Archives

September 2019

ALLFAC@LISTSERV1.COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU

From:
Dale Willson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dale Willson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2019 08:53:34 -0600
(sent on behalf of the CEC)

Dear faculty,

The Curriculum Executive Committee invites you to propose your new and existing courses for General Education credit in our new General Education Program. The description of the requirements—including curricular goals and learning outcomes—is attached. Students entering in fall 2020 will complete this program, and we are eager for the full faculty to participate in making this new program robust, rigorous and exciting.

While some existing courses may fulfill GenEd requirements without much revision, some of the new requirements, especially CC100, CC120, and Equity & Power, are different from our previous requirements and are likely to be fulfilled in many cases by new or significantly revised courses. Thus, please consider this an invitation to a course development process. Incomplete but thoughtful proposals are welcome, and submitting proposals will connect you to opportunities for developing courses that fulfill the curricular goals and learning outcomes of the new requirements. Development and training opportunities will unfold over the winter, spring and summer, and will be shaped based on needs that appear or are expressed in the proposal process.

The course proposal form will ask for a general description of the course, an indication of which GenEd designation(s) are being requested, a brief rationale for each designation, and a description of what resources would be helpful in developing the course.  We will not ask for detailed syllabi at this time, but faculty who apply for GenEd designations are committing to developing courses that fulfill the learning outcomes in the documentation of GenEd categories. For single courses taught in multiple sections by different instructors, we ask that the GenEd proposal and course development process be coordinated at the department or program level.  Each course of this kind only needs to be proposed once (i.e. not separately by each instructor). Department and program chairs are kindly asked to coordinate these efforts.

Proposals for GenEd credit will be due on October 25, the first Friday of Block 3, submitted using rubrics with a common format through an online portal (this portal will go live at the end of the first week of Block 2). Proposals will be vetted by small task forces of faculty, staff, and students (including members of the CEC, the COI, and others to be selected by the Dean and/or FEC). These task forces will respond to submissions during Block 4.

For this new program to succeed, we all need to be a part of it. Please contact the CEC (Chair, Genevieve Love) if we can answer questions or facilitate and support your submission of GenEd credit proposals.

Best,
The Curriculum Executive Committee