Hello!  I hope that you were all able to get some rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation over the Winter Break.

Although 2022 is starting out a bit rough from a COVID perspective, we’ve still got some great wellness information and resources for you!

The Wellness Resource Center is open M-F from about 8:30am to 6pm!

Resources available in the WRC include our Lending Library, Journaling prompts and materials (including materials for creative journaling like found word poetry or collaging), Art supplies, Sleep tips and resources, sexual health supplies, Switch Gaming System, a fantastic mountain view, plus Anna Thompson and Heather Horton!

Although we have limited programming during J block because we are focused on providing programs for WSO, RA Training, etc., we’d love to see you.

Come on over, enjoy the view, use the supplies, and say Hi!

Each block we are featuring one of the books from our Lending Library shelves.  During J Block, we are featuring The Sober Survival Guide.  A New Year is a good prompt for many of us to reflect on what’s been working (or not working) for us, and for many the Winter Holidays are bring up concerns for them about their relationship to alcohol.  The Sober Survival Guide provides readers with an opportunity to explore their drinking habits and determine if an alcohol-free life may be right for them. It also serves as a handbook for coping with everyday life situations that may lead to cravings or relapse.

The Sober Survival Guide is unique in that it is split into two parts. The first is designed to set you up for success and put you in a place where you can find freedom from alcohol and stop drinking if that’s what you want. The first part of the book contains essential information for when you’re in the early stages of controlling your drinking.
The second part serves as a handbook as you move forward into an alcohol-free life.  Author Simon Chapple uses their own experiences and those of the people they’ve worked with to help ensure you’re ready for the challenges, fears, and questions that will come up in the years after quitting drinking. You’ll learn how to handle social and work events without a glass of alcohol in hand, the joys of sober holidays, what to do when you stop drinking but your partner or friends won’t, and a whole lot more.
The book provides vital tools and tactics it will also leave you with a smile on your face and provide you with a fun and enjoyable read. Part memoir, part sober guide and 100% alcohol free - The Sober Survival Guide is perfect for anyone looking to free themselves from the grip of alcohol.

January is Stalking Awareness Month | Your Safe Haven, Inc.

January is National Stalking Awareness Month. Stalking is a form of sexual violence - it is a pattern of behavior that would cause a reasonable person to feel fear or substantial emotional distress. The behaviors are targeted at a specific person and can be in-person, through technology, or some combination. Behaviors include unwanted contact (such as repeated calls and texts), following or tracking you using technology, damaging property, showing up and waiting for you at home or work, and other actions that are meant to control, track, and frighten you. Stalking is prevalent on college campuses, and as a community we can learn more about stalking and helping someone who is being stalked (see the attached infographic). Follow our Instagram (@wellnesscc) for more information throughout the month. You can learn more about stalking at the Stalking Prevention and Awareness Resource Center and about the confidential resources available to you on our website. Finally, stalking is increasingly exercised through technology and social media. The National Network to End Domestic Violence has a great resource that is geared toward survivors, but is helpful for anyone looking to secure their devices and keep themselves safe online. The Technology Safety & Privacy Toolkit contains safety tips, information, and privacy strategies on the use of technology.

Follow us (@wellnesscc) on Instagram to stay connected with us and the opportunities available in-between listserv messages!

Hope to see you soon!

HEATHER L. HORTON, PH.D.
Senior Director of Student Health & Wellbeing
pronouns:  she/her/hers
o (719) 389-6211

COLORADO COLLEGE
14 E. Cache La Poudre St.,
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903

www.coloradocollege.edu

www.coloradocollege.edu/other/wellness/

Access the HEALTHANDWELLBEING Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the HEALTHANDWELLBEING List