Dear chairs and directors,
The agenda is on teams, but I realized that some of you might not have it set up to ping you or have the little "red bubble" to alert you to new content, so here it is for convenience!

Date: Monday, Dec 4, 2023

Time: 3:30 – 5:00 PM

Location: Yalich Board Room, Spencer Building (Tejon/Cache entrance)

Operational matters

  1. Dean's update and reminders
    1. [Reminder] Scheduling and FYP:
      1. Aim for 1 unit for every 2 faculty you have. We know some departments who do heavy service at the entry level courses cannot do that. So, do not stress out about this. But a general goal for 1 course: 2 faculty is a good place to start; If your department can, offer more than the 1:2 ratio.
      2. Update to process: students cannot do add/drop by themselves.
      3. Remember: you can count an FYP course as your major/minor courses, as long as it also fulfills the goals of the FYP and use the FYP course number.
      4. Nudge: Students do enjoy adjacent blocks 1-2 courses, so do consider if you can put the cc120 in Block 2.
    2. [Informational] Summer student research rate will now be $600/week (to match with national rate). Dean’s Office and divisional grants will fund 9 weeks at this rate. SCoRe currently only doing 8. Dean’s office is prepared to provide bridge funding.
    3. Year 2 of new form on faculty salary report.
    4. Adoption of expense guidelines starting January 2024.
    5. Q&A on course scheduling for FY25.

Strategic work: In-meeting work session

  1. Project 2024 Ideas for Academic Initiatives: call for courses (accompanied by summer grants) for BYOB courses, synergy pairings, convergence classes, linked courses, senior year experience courses.
  2. Academic discourse, academic freedom, our shared duty to educate and care: national trends, CC needs, input from chairs, programming plans.

----
EMILY CHAN, PHD
Dean of the Faculty
Professor of Psychology
Office of the Dean of the Faculty
Armstrong Hall 201

o (719) 389-6682

COLORADO COLLEGE
14 E. Cache La Poudre St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Access the CHAIRSANDDIRECTORS Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the CHAIRSANDDIRECTORS List