Good Afternoon Lovely People,
        Chelsea Martinez's, a Riley Scholar-in-Residence from the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department, talk has been rescheduled to THIS THURSDAY (April 21). Please look below for more information and I hope you can join us!

To First Generation College Students... PLEASE RSVP TODAY!

"Using Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic
Organic Chemistry to Valorize Lignin"
Presented by Chelsea Martinez, a Riley Scholar-in-Residence from the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department
When: THIS THURSDAY, April 21st at 4:00 PM
Where: Kresge Hall (on the First Floor of Tutt Science)
Space for dinner is limited to 15 individuals. Please RVSP as soon as possible to

What: Lignin, an energy-dense polymer used by plants for structure, water transport, and defense, is the 2nd most abundant biopolymer on Earth after cellulose. In production of fuels and chemicals from biomass, lignin is typically burned for heat because it is too chemically complex to use as a feedstock. In nature, however, some organisms have evolved metabolic pathways that enable its use. We use the saprophyte bacterium Pseudomonas putida KT2440 to demonstrate that metabolic pathways can be used to convert lignin-enriched substrates into useful molecules.

Kazzandra Medellin `18

(Pronouns: she/her/hers)

Butler Center Intern
Colorado College